441 Maxim Doucet Hall
Ph.D. 1985 Cornell University
M.A. 1980 University of North Carolina at Greensboro
B.S. 1978 University of North Carolina at Greensboro
I received my Bachelor of Science (1978) and Master of Arts (1980) degrees in mathematics from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. My master's thesis, which is in the area of experiment design and linear models, was directed by David G. Herr. I then received my PhD in statistics (1985) from Cornell University. My PhD dissertation, which is in the area of decision theory, was directed by George Casella. After graduating from Cornell, I joined the faculty in the mathematics department at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. In 1990 I relocated to Lafayette to join the statistics department at UL Lafayette, nee the University of Southwestern Louisiana. I am now associate professor in the mathematics department.
I teach statistics at all levels, provide statistical advice to students and faculty, and conduct research in statistics. My main research interests are in the areas of decision theory, Bayesian statistics, linear models, and multivariate analysis.
Selected research publications:
- Anderson, Charles L., Berry, J. Calvin, On a simple measure of dominance, J. Statist. Plann. Inference, 139, (2009,) 3, 1098-1108,
- Berry, J. Calvin, On the existence of a unique most probable category, J. Statist. Plann. Inference,99, (2001,) 2, 175-182,
- Berry, J. Calvin, Improving the James-Stein estimator using the Stein variance estimator, Statist. Probab. Lett., 20, (1994,) 3, 241-245,
- Berry, J. Calvin, Minimax estimation of a restricted exponential location parameter, Statist. Decisions, 11, (1993,) 4, 307-316,
- Jin, Chun, Berry, J. Calvin, Equivariant estimation of a normal mean vector using a normal concomitant vector for covariance adjustment, Comm. Statist. Theory Methods, 22, (1993,) 2, 335-346,
- Pal, Nabendu, Berry, J. Calvin, On invariance and maximum likelihood estimation, Amer. Statist., 46, (1992,) 3, 209-212,
- Berry, J. Calvin, Minimax estimation of a bounded normal mean vector, J. Multivariate Anal., 35, (1990,) 1, 130-139,
- Berry, J. Calvin, Bayes minimax estimation of a Bernoulli $p$ in a restricted parameter space, Comm. Statist. Theory Methods, 18, (1989,) 12, 4607-4616 (1990),
- Berry, J. Calvin, Equivariant estimation of a normal mean using a normal concomitant variable for covariance adjustment, Canad. J. Statist., 15, (1987,) 2, 177-183,