Ph.D.: 1998, University of California at Berkeley
Matemático: 1993, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
I got my PhD from the University of California at Berkeley in 1998,working under George M. Bergman; I started at UL Lafayette in 2005. My main research interest is in groups, often inspired by questions that come from General (also called Universal) Algebra; the latter is a way of unifying the study of many different types of algebraic structures. A group is a type of structures that was first defined to study symmetries, and they are ubiquitous. In more recent years, I have concentrated in finite p-groups and nilpotent groups in general. My most recent published work (in collaboration with Martha Kilpack) goes back to General Algebra and considers questions of lattice and closure operators associated to groups and their subgroups. I am currently looking at possible generalizations of the Chermak-Delgado lattice of a group, associated to other types of marginal subgroups.
Selected research publications:
- Kilpack, Martha L. H., Magidin, Arturo, The lattice of closure operators on a subgroup lattice, Comm. Algebra 46 (2018), no. 4, 1387-1396.
- Magidin, Arturo, Morse, Robert Fitzgerald, Capable p-groups. Groups St Andrews 2013, 399-427, London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser., 422, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 2015.
- Ahmad, Azhana, Magidin, Arturo, Morse, Robert Fitzgerald, Two generator p-groups of nilpotency class 2 and their conjugacy classes, Publ. Math. Debrecen 81 (2012), no. 1-2, 145-166.
- Magidin, Arturo, Morse, Robert Fitzgerald, Certain homological functors of 2-generator p-groups of class 2, Computational group theory and the theory of groups, II, 127-166, Contemp. Math., 511, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2010.
- Magidin, Arturo, Embedding groups of class two and prime exponent in capable and noncapable groups, Bull. Aust. Math. Soc. 79 (2009), no. 2, 303-308.
- Magidin, Arturo, Capability of nilpotent products of cyclic groups. II, J. Group Theory 10 (2007), no. 4, 441-451.
- Magidin, Arturo, Capable 2-generator 2-groups of class two, Comm. Algebra 34 (2006), no. 6, 2183-2193.
- Magidin, Arturo,McKinnon, David, Gauss's lemma for number fields, Amer. Math. Monthly 112 (2005), no. 5, 385-416.
- Magidin, Arturo, Amalgams of nilpotent groups of class two, J. Algebra 274 (2004), no. 1, 1-63.
- Magidin, Arturo, Absolutely closed nil-2 groups, Algebra Universalis 42 (1999), no. 1-2, 61-77.