Devon Endowed Professor of Mathematics
408 Maxim Doucet Hall
Ph.D., 2012, The Ohio State University
B.S., 2004, Marshall University
Before arriving at UL Lafayette, I held postdoctoral appointments at Rutgers University, the University of Montana, and the University of Aberdeen.
My research interests are in the structure and representation theory of finite groups, as viewed locally at a prime p. This often leads me to the study of fusion systems, which are finite categories that serve as models for the p-local structures of finite groups, for local structures of blocks of finite group algebras in characteristic p, as well as for the p-completed classifying spaces of finite groups.
Selected research publications:
- Ellen Henke and Justin Lynd, Fusion systems with Benson-Solomon components, Duke Mathematical Journal, 171 (2022), no. 3, 673--737.
- George Glauberman, Robert Guralnick, Justin Lynd, and Gabrielle Navarro. Centers of Sylow subgroups and automorphisms, Israel J. Math (2020), 14pp.
- Kessar, Radha and Linckelmann, Markus and Lynd, Justin and Semeraro, Jason, Weight conjectures for fusion systems, Adv. Math., 357 (2019), 106825, 40
- Henke, Ellen and Lynd, Justin, Extensions of the Benson-Solomon fusion systems, Geometric and topological aspects of the representation theory of finite groups, Springer Proc. Math. Stat., 242 (2018),251--268.
- Lynd, Justin and Rainbolt, Julianne, Fusion systems with some sporadic $J$-components, J. Algebra, 489 (2017),165--178
- Glauberman, George and Lynd, Justin, Control of fixed points and existence and uniqueness of centric linking systems, Invent. Math., 206 (2016) no. 2,441--484.
- Lynd, Justin, A characterization of the 2-fusion system of $L_4(q)$, J. Algebra, 428 (2015),315--356.
- Lynd, Justin, The Thompson-Lyons transfer lemma for fusion systems, Bull. Lond. Math. Soc., 46 (2014) no. 6,1276--1282.
- Green, David J. and Lynd, Justin, Weak closure and Oliver's $p$-group conjecture, Israel J. Math., 197 (2013) no. 1,497--507.
- Lynd, Justin, 2-subnormal quadratic offenders and Oliver's $p$-group conjecture, Proc. Edinb. Math. Soc. (2), 56 (2013) no. 1,211--222.
- Lynd, Justin and Park, Sejong, Analogues of Goldschmidt's thesis for fusion systems, J. Algebra, 324 (2010) no. 12,3487--3493.