Welcome to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Mathematics Department On-line Problem Solving Competition page. As a part of our celebration of Mathematics and Statistics Awareness Month we are posting sets of problems and asking you to send us your solutions.
There are problem sets for each of four levels.
- Set AA - middle school problems (for lower grade levels) pdf version
- Set A - middle school problems pdf version
- Set B - high school problems pdf version
- Set C - college level problems pdf version
Instructions for Participants
- You do not have to solve all of the problems in a set.
- You are asked not only to solve the problems but also to justify your solutions by explaining the reasoning leading to your solutions.
- Be sure that you try to find all the possible solutions for a problem.
- If you wish, you are welcome to participate at higher levels by solving problems from any set.
- If you have a question about the statement of a problem, please contact us and we will try to help.
- If we have a question about your solution, we will contact you.
Submission of Solutions
- You will need to send us your solutions as email attachments. Please include your last name in the title of any email attachment. If you send a photo or scan, please be sure that it is clear enough for us to read.
- Everyone: Please include your name, your grade level, and the name of your school in your email
- Middle and high school students: Please also provide the name of your math teacher.
- College students: Some instructors may award extra course credit if you submit acceptable solutions. If you want us to share information about your performance with your instructor, please include your instructor's name in your email.
- Make sure that you indicate the problem set and number of the problem you are responding to.
- For proper identification, every email you send should include your name.
- Please send your solutions on or before 30 April 2018.
- Send your solutions to Calvin Berry (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Questions and Comments
- If you have any questions, please contact Calvin Berry (email@example.com).
- Teachers: We are very interested in your input regarding this problem competition and suggestions regarding future competitions. Please send your comments to Calvin Berry (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Participants in previous competitions
We want to thank everyone who submitted solutions to our previous competitions. You can view a list of participants from 2017 here.